This is my homework assignment #2:
The purpose of this article is to describe my history and personal experience with the Internet. In this article, I will discuss my use of the Internet in four areas and they are: access methods, favorite sites, areas of interest, and personal impact.
There are two main access methods that I use to gain Internet access. Primarily, at my job I use the Netscape Communicator web browser that is provided by the Lockheed Martin Intranet. Second, I use the Microsoft Explorer web browser from home, which is provided by Netzero.
I have many favorite sites that I have book marked. Here are eleven of them:
Next, my areas of interest on the Internet can be described in 6 main areas. These areas are:
· Christian Community
· Family Planning
· Family entertainment
· Local and International News
· Professional Growth
· Educational Growth
The Internet has truly changed the way that I work and live. I will briefly discuss the deep impact that the Internet has made in my Personal and Professional life. Here are some areas of my Personal life that have been improved by the Internet:
· Medical - The Internet has enhanced my ability to communicate with my medical doctors. This is a result of using the Internet to search the definition of medical terms and to research the activities that are involved in certain medical procedures.
· Entertainment - Web sites like www.moviephone.com help eliminate time spent scheduling a family night out at the movies. The online movie directory gives me the ability to search for a movie by title, zip code, city, or a specific theatre. The Internet also gives me the ability to obtain directions to a theatre that is in an unfamiliar area. Prior to the online movie directory, I used the automated telephone system. This method was very time consuming and very frustrating because I would spend about thirty minutes on the phone to locate one movie. Now, with the Internet system, I can locate thirty movies within just a few minutes.
· Faith - The Internet has also helped me in the area of faith because I can now conveniently access the bible and other faith building material over the Internet. The Internet has also helped me to build and strengthen relationships within the Christian community. For example, I now have the ability to communicate with my Pastor via the URL for my church's home page (http://www.calvarywp.org). Also, small cluster groups from my church can now set up a web site where we can post events and share information that is secured through a registration process.
In addition to advantages that I have gained in my Personal life, the Internet has also contributed a lot to my Professional life. Below is a list of improvements that I have encountered in my workplace because of the Internet:
· Online Training - The Intranet within my company provides access to training courses from my desktop that were previously accessible only by visiting a training center. One advantage to taking the Intranet based course is that I spend less time traveling to a training center that is located on the opposite side of the campus. In addition, the online system has a very reliable record keeping system. Since some of the courses are mandatory, the online training system keeps track of completion dates electronically. This is in contrast to the manual record keeping system that was used prior to the Internet.
· Resume maintenance - The Internet allows me to access repositories for resumes. I have the ability to search a batch or resumes within a specified industry and use those posted resumes as a guideline for improving the presentation of my own personal resume.
· Online Company Directory - The Intranet is used within my company to access a directory of all employees across the corporation, even the International employees can be contacted using the company's web site. Prior to the use of the Intranet, there were many company directories within the corporation and employees were limited to see only information for employees within a specific division.
· Job Performance - My job performance has been greatly improved by the Internet because of certain web-based applications, which have been used to automate some of the time consuming processes that my department is responsible for. As a result of utilizing the Internet, the web-based applications have helped to reduce time and labor charged to our customers and the Internet has created more time for me to participate in other projects which also build up my portfolio.
· Job Opportunities - The Internet has also increased my awareness of job opportunities within or outside of my company. For instance, within my company there is a website that shows all open positions throughout the corporation. I can search for a job by title, salary, location, and other criteria. This web site also allows me to attach and submit my resume when I electronically nominate myself for an open position.
In summary, the Internet has affected every aspect of my life in a positive way. The Internet is a tool that has improved the way I work and the way I live. The Internet has become my main resource for obtaining a wide range of information. As a result, my personal life has been enhanced in the areas of medical, entertainment, and faith. In addition, the Internet has impacted my professional life in a positive way. Consequently, I have become more successful in the areas of training, communication, and professional productivity.
|Last updated 2008/09/28 07:15:45 PDT||Hits 169|