|Title:|| Penguins |
|Name: ||Ms. Frances Burczynski |
|Grade: ||3 |
Subject:|| Science |
The penguin will be introduced as an animal native to Antarctica. Students will learn about the penguin, how it lives and survives, as well as uncover myths about the animal. |
1. Students will distinguish between different types of penguins.|
2. Students will make predictions about penguins.
3. Students will discover facts about penguins to determine whether their predictions were correct.
NY State Standard MST4: Science||
Students will understand and apply scientific concepts, principles, and theories pertaining to the physical setting and living environment and recognize the historical development of ideas in science.|
Basic operations and concepts|
* Students demonstrate a sound understanding of the nature and operation of technology systems.
* Students are proficient in the use of technology.
Technology productivity tools
* Students use technology tools to enhance learning, increase productivity, and promote creativity.
Technology research tools
* Students use technology to locate, evaluate, and collect information from a variety of sources.
2. Transparency of Penguin Anticipatory Guide (Prediction)
and copies for each student.
3. Portable ibook cart
4. Animal Profiles: Penguins
5. Encarta OnLine Encyclopedia
6. Penguin Tic Tac Toe Acitivty Boards (DIfferentiated Instruction)
1. Allow for prediction about penguins
2. Provide multiple sources for students to discover: streamed video, online encyclopedia, book
1. Multiple resources available
2. Teacher aide assistance to help with technology
1. Students will self-select 3 activites from a Tic Tac Toe Board.
Method of Technology Integration:
Students will be given the choice of how to uncover the mystery about penguins. After making their predictions, they will chose to watch a streamed video, use encarta online or gather information from a book. (Differentiated Instruction: process)
1. Students are presented with 10 statements about penguins via transparency. Each statement is presented one by one and students will use the thumbs up/thumbs down method to predict whether the statement is true or false.
1. Students may save work in their student folders on the district's server.
1. Anticipatory Set.|
2. Tell students they will investigate these facts and then fill out a Penguin Tic Tac Toe board. Introduce students to the three methods of research: the video streaming station, the encarta station and the book station.
3. Allow students to work. Assist Students may mark their own copy of the Penguin True or False Anticipatory Guide as they work.
4. Students will select three activities in a row from the Tic Tac Toe board to complete. This will be done the following day.
5. Closing Activity.
1. To make sure all students have successfully found the information before beginning the activities, as a group, go over the Penguin Anticpatory Guide True and False. |
|Assessment and Evaluation:||
1. Students will select three activities from a Penguin Tic Tac Toe board. While the products (activities chosen) will all be different, all must include a total of 6 facts from the Anticipatory True and False as well as 3 additional facts about penguins.
Penguin Video Note Sheet