PICK THE PRESIDENT WEBQUEST
Life is hectic nowadays! Your parents and other adults don't have time to research the presidential candidates, but the presidential election could determine YOUR future. Busy adults may have to depend on their emotions or hearsay to make a choice for our next president and you don't have a say because you are not eighteen yet. However, the president elected next month will determine what YOUR future will be like. Will he help or hurt your education? Will he try to eliminate abortion? Will he cut taxes for your family? Will you be able to afford healthcare? Examine the facts. Determine where each candidate really stands on the issues that affect YOU! Have a say in YOUR future, now!
TASK: WRITE AN EDITORIAL TO PERSUADE YOUR PARENTS OR ANOTHER ADULT TO VOTE FOR A PARTICULAR CANDIDATE FOR PRESIDENT. USE THREE SPECIFIC ISSUES: EDUCATION, ABORTION, TAX CUTS.
1. RESEARCH ISSUES-CHECK LINKS 1-5 AND 10- BELOW, AS WELL AS NEWSPAPER ARTICLES AND OTHER ELECTION MATERIAL TO FIND AS MANY FACTS AS POSSIBLE ABOUT EDUCATION, ABORTION, HEALTH CARE, AND TAX CUTS.
2. TALK TO VOTING ADULTS-ASK YOUR PARENTS AND/OR OTHER ADULTS WHO THEY PLAN TO VOTE FOR AND WHY. WRITE DOWN THEIR SPECIFIC OPINIONS ABOUT THE ISSUES.
3. DETERMINE WHERE YOU STAND ON THE ISSUES-NOW THAT YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR PARENTS AND/OR OTHER ADULTS STAND ON THE ISSUES, DO YOU AGREE WITH THEM? WHY OR WHY NOT? WHICH SIDES OF THE ISSUES WILL BENEFIT YOU?
4. CHOOSE A CANDIDATE-WHICH CANDIDATE DO YOU THINK WILL REPRESENT YOUR PERSONAL VIEWS? REMEMBER, YOU MAY CHANGE YOUR MIND ABOUT CANDIDATES THE FIRST TWO OR THREE DAYS, BUT AFTER THAT, YOU NEED TO HAVE YOUR MIND MADE UP SO YOU CAN WRITE A CONVINCING EDITORIAL.
4. GATHER EVIDENCE-NOW THAT YOU KNOW WHERE YOU STAND ON THE THREE ISSUES. WHERE DO THE CANDIDATES REALLY STAND? WHICH ONE DO YOU WANT TO BE PRESIDENT WHEN YOU GET OUT IN THE REAL WORLD?
5. ORGANIZE EVIDENCE-WHAT IS EVIDENCE? WHERE SHOULD YOU GATHER EVIDENCE? IS ALL PRINTED MATERIAL TRUE? HOW DO YOU KNOW WHICH SOURCES ARE RELIABLE AND WHICH ARE NOT?
6. WRITE EDITORIAL-USE LINKS 6-9 BELOW TO HELP YOU WRITE AN EDITORIAL THAT WILL CONVINCE ADULTS TO VOTE FOR THE CANDIDATE YOU CHOOSE. REMEMBER, THIS IS THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN HAVE A SAY IN YOUR FUTURE!
7. PRESENT TO PARENTS/OTHER ADULTS-PRESENT YOUR EDITORIAL TO THE ADULTS. ASK THEM TO WRITE A "CRITIQUE" OF IT. IN OTHER WORDS, HAVE THEM WRITE TO ME TELLING ME HOW WELL YOU DID AND WHETHER OR NOT YOU CONVINCED THEM TO VOTE FOR A PARTICULAR CANDIDATE.
8. GET SIGNATURES AND RESULTS!-HAVE THE ADULT SIGN YOUR EDITORIAL. DID YOU CONVINCE THEM OR AT LEAST INFLUENCE THEM? THAT IS THE ULTIMATE TEST OF YOUR EDITORIAL.
RESOURCES:CANDIDATES WEB PAGES, NEWS STORIES, DEBATES. SEE LINKS 1-5 and 10- BELOW.
USE TEXTBOOK AND LINKED SOURCES. SEE LINKS 6-9 BELOW
IN ORDER TO CONVINCE SOMEONE, YOU MUST WRITE A CONVINCING AND CREDIBLE EDITORIAL. USE FACTS. SPELL AND PUNCTUATE CORRECTLY. TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR FUTURE!
Genre Studies 3 /4 Date
Objective Students will be able to