the characteristics of a mineral?
1. must be made from nature.
2. must have a crystal pattern.
3. must be organic (non-living) solid.
4. must have certain chemical composition.
what is a rock?
a mixture of minerals and elements.
how to identify a rock?
1. color, usually not helpful unless the color is different. example:yellow,red
2. luster: the way a mineral reflects to the light.
they are two kinds of lusters they are:
a. metallic luster:appears shiny like a metal.
b. nonmetallic luster:dull, and does not look like a metal.
may also look pearly, silky, glassy, or transparant.
3. streak: the color of a rock or mineral poder.
4. hardness: how easily or difficult it is to scratch a mineral a mineral's resistance to breaking.
5. a mineral that breaks along a smooth, flat surface.
6. fracture: a mineral that breaks rough and jagged.
this page was create by jeff's company and dedicte to science class.