Welcome to the Elliott School Spanish Diagnostic Exam homepage at The George Washington University. The pair of diagnostic tests below gauge your general vocabulary/grammar/functional knowledge and reading skills to help you determine whether additional language study is needed prior to taking the Spanish Language Proficiency exam.
Create a free Quia account. To do this, go to the Quia Web site. Click the link labeled "Create my free account." Fill out the form that appears. Select "Student" as the account type. Record or memorize your username and password. When you are done, press the "Create my account" button. You should now be in your account information page. Type in the class code MNF743 at the bottom of the page and press the "Add class" button. Now you're done! Come back to this page and read the instructions below.
Read the following instructions carefully.
• You will be given 1 hour to complete the first test and 45 minutes to complete the second. You may take a break between the two if you like.
• DO NOT receive assistance from anyone else to answer any of the exam questions. This exam must be a reflection of your own knowledge of the Spanish language.
• DO NOT consult any materials, including dictionaries and textbooks, or make use of any other pedagogical aids while taking this exam.
Now take the two tests from the links below. When you are done, print out the scores (both raw and percentage). If you cannot print out the scores at this point, do not worry. With your username and password, you can always go back to your account page and print out the scores.
Consult the information below to find out if you need additional language instruction/practice.
Grammar, Vocabulary, and Functional Knowledge
• IF YOUR SCORE IS 110 points OR ABOVE, you probably do not need additional language study prior to the oral proficiency exam.
• IF YOUR SCORE IS BELOW 110 points, YOU NEED additional language study prior to the oral proficiency exam.
96-110 points - take Spanish 2006
81-95 points - take Spanish 2005
66-80 points - take Spanish 1004
46-65 points - take Spanish 1003
26-45 points - take Spanish 1002
0-45 points - take Spanish 1001
91 - 100% - likely Superior
76 - 90% - Advanced High
51 - 75% - Advanced
41 - 50% - Intermediate High
31 - 40% - Intermediate Mid
25 - 30% - Intermdiate Low
Under 25% - No usable proficiency
• Check ESIA's Proficiency Levels to see what level is required to satisfy your requirement.