Welcome to Internet class!
Today we are going to explore different web sites. By understanding the different kinds, you will be able to condut a better search for information. I have listed the following types of sites and given examples of each. You need to read about them and then click on them listed under useful links.
1. Advocacy page - sponsered by an organization attempting to influence public opinion (trying to sell their ideas)
2. Business/Marketing pages - sponsered by a commercial enterprise (that is trying to sell their products)
3. Informational Pages - purpose of this type is to present factual information. The URL of the page usually ends in .edu or .gov.
4. News Pages - primary purpose is to provide extremely current inforamation (newspapers). The URL usually ends in .com
5. Personal pages - a personal home page is published by an individual. The URL may vary but will have a tilde (~) placed somewhere in the address