GUIDELINES / PROCEDURES
MATERIALS Required for EACH CLASS
1. Looseleaf binder, for ALL work. You will receive papers during class, or will be taking notes in class. The notebook will be graded for neatness and completeness, and worth about 50 points. MUST INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING SECTIONS:
NOTES, HOMEWORK, HANDOUTS, QUIZZES, GUIDELINES (All of today’s handouts should be in there, including the signature sheet once it is handed in for grading)
2. Text and workbook
3. Pencils, pens, highlighters
4. Dry erase marker
5. Dictionary (German/English) Optional
ABSENCE Per school policy, you have one day for each day absent to make up work for an excused absence. Tests and quizzes MUST be made up. IF YOU ARE ABSENT ONE DAY BEFORE A TEST OR QUIZ, BUT RETURN ON THE DAY OF TESTING, YOU ARE EXPECTED TO TAKE THE TEST. For extended absences, tests may be made up later.
HELP! Natürlich! I’m available for extra help after school. Also, there are computer programs available for your use during study halls or after school. You will also earn EXTRA CREDIT POINTS for doing this and printing your work if possible.
RULES There is really only one: RESPECT yourself and those in the class. All others fall under this one!
EVALUATION You will earn a percentage of total points possible. WHAT YOU EARN IS WHAT YOU GET (There is NO curve.)
Oral participation counts 20%
Points are awarded for:
1. pronunciation progress
2. production - how often you speak in German
3. class participation and effort (if you are off-task, you lose points)
Homework counts 40% - 5 / 10 points per assignment. It adds up, and in fact is hard to pass without it.
LATE: Within 24 hours - 2.5 - 5 points. I do not accept homework after this!
Due to excused absence, full credit, if turned in within school guidelines: 1 day for each day absent.
QUIZZES 20 - 40 points, oral or written
TESTS, PROJECTS, PRESENTATIONS 75 - 125 points
Quizzes and tests count for 40%
BONUS POINTS Every student starts each quarter with 25 points. Unless they are lost, they will be added to total score at the end of the quarter. -5 Points will be lost in the following instances:
1. Each use of hall pass after the the one issued at the beginning of the grading
2. Each use of gum or food
3. Each failure to bring required materials
4. Breaking school or class rules
BONUS MARKS Bonus marks are awarded:
1. Each time you speak German ON YOUR OWN to me or to a classmate (except during drills or group activities)
2. Each time you do something wonderful
3. When you win at group, team, or partner games.
Obviously, the idea is to get as many as you can! They are worth .6 points each. Five marks equals 3 points added to your score. You may add them to your exam score if you choose.