Friday, May 5, 2000
Each student will research a disease, as determined in class on Thursday.
Students will take notes off the internet today. Monday these notes will complete a 1 and 1/2 to 2 page paper by the end of the class on Monday.
While searching for information, you will be allowed to access ONLY the following websites:
www.cdc.gov -(click on Health Topics A-Z on left column menu; click on the disease that you are researching)
www.britannica.com - (click on Health on the left column menu; type in the name of the disease that you are researching inside the search bar; click on Find)
my.webmd.com/dmk_health_topics/dmk/topiclist/data - (click on the beginning of the letter of the disease being researched; click on the disease name)
Your paper must contain the following information:
1. Name and type of disease (communicable or non-communicable)
2. State a complete and well-thought-out definition of the disease.
3. How the disease is transmitted if communicable/What are the causes for the disease if non-communicable
4. What are the prevention methods?
5. What type of pathogen causes the disease? (only communicable -- virus, bacteria, fungus, protozoa, etc.)
6. Is the disease due to genetics (heredity) or lifestyle (only non-communicable)?
7. Is this disease a major problem in the United States? Is there a major problem in other countries? If so, what countries?
8. What are the treatment options related to this disease?