10th Grade Geography
Section: Northern America - Canada
- The student will identify provinces and territories
- The student will identify major events that have shaped
- Activities will be of varying complexities involving
historical and present region data.
You are a member of a team nominated to provide to the Wavy TV 10 Educational Challenge a documentary report on Canada. The Educational Challenge will be broadcast live on January 28, 2000 in celebration of the new millenium. The purpose of the challenge is to feature outstanding students within the Tidewater Area.
Each school was given a topic to contribute on. Our school has accepted the Challenge on the area of North America Geographical History.
The following WebQuest will enable you to explore the capabilities of the Internet in performing research on Northern America, more specifically Canada. You will use the power of teamwork along with these resources to learn about Canada's history and geography. According to your team assignments, your team will be contributing to the final report based on the information retrieved from the Internet sources.
As the team gathers information and individually complete the WebQuest activities, you will come together to form a consensus on the major points of interest surrounding Canada. The documentary will need to highlight the many aspects of the early exploration of the North American region.
1) You will need to access the resources listed under
"Useful Links" to gather country specific data to
successfully complete the assignment requirements.
2) Answer the following Essential Questions:
Team "Raging Regions": How did Canada develop
Team "Nimble Natives": Is there cultural diversity in
Canada? If so, where and what is the ethnicity of
Team "Calculating Counterparts": What countries were
involved with Canada's history? What provinces and
territories were involved?
Team "Fury Golden Fur": What were the historical events
that created major impact on North America? What
geographical interest points were involved?
2) Each team project must include the following 4 parts:
ESSAY RESPONSE TO YOUR TEAM QUESTION
Give credit to the sites in this format:
The First Nations; History 30G, Frontier Collegiate
Institute, Cranberry Portage, Manitoba; A high school in
Frontier School Division #48
- Students work in teams of four.
- All team members work on completing the WebQuest
activities on an individual basis.
- Each team should access all the resource sites to gather
all available information.
- The team produces a paper. This paper must combine
the individual work of every team member.
- As a class, we will create a PowerPoint presentation
to be viewed in conjunction with your reports.
- Prior to beginning the group assignments you must
complete the following independent activities. Make a
bookmark to this page to aid in ease of returning to
- Within your team, decide who will research what area of
your subject question. There are many sub-topics within
each team question to answer.
- Once the team members have agreed on sub-topics,
each member should organize the information gathered by
use of maps, and timeline flowcharts.
- Use the resources to explore your defined subject
- Develop a short essay on your sub-topic.
- Paragraph 1 should include your introductory
paragraph on your sub--topic.
- Paragraph 2 should include details and facts
of your sub-topic supporting your introduction.
- Paragraph 3 should include further elaboration
from paragraph #2.
- Paragraph 4 should conclude your portion of the paper
with a summation of your sub-topic area.
There are many Internet links listed under "Useful Links" to assist you in your research.
Students will be evaluated according to the following:
- IN CLASS ON TASK BEHAVIOR (20%_)
- INDIVIDUAL GRADE FOR EACH SECTION (30%_)
- GROUP GRADE FOR FINAL PRODUCT (20%_)
- "QUIZ SESSION LOG-IN" (30%_)
Now that you have completed the above specified team
requirements, we are ready to put all the pieces together and create our PowerPoint presentation of the Challenge.
Through this assignment you have learned about our northern neighbors. During this Challenge, you have seen the differences in Canada's region as to the United States, the many events that have shaped their country, and the opportunities that are available to you in visiting Canada.
CREDIT & REFERENCES:
I would like to thank Quia Corporation for making their activities available for creation of this WebQuest.