Rocks and Minerals
A Mineral is an inorganic substance occuring
naturally in the earth that has a composition
that can be expressed in a chemical formula.
Here are six ways to identify a Mineral:
1. Color- ususally doesn't help much
unless the color is different
2. Luster- luster is the way a mineral
There are two types of luster:
Metallic, and Non-Metallic luster.
Metallic luster appears shiny like a
Non Metallic luster appears dull
and does not look like a
3. Streak- is the color of a rock or
4. Hardness- how eaisly or difficult it
is to scratch the mineral.
5. Cleavage- a mineral that breaks along
a very smooth and flat
6. Fracture- a mineral that breaks along
a very rough and jagged
To Be a Mineral it...
1. Must be made in nature
2. Must have a crystal pattern
3. Must be non-living solid
4. Must have a certain chemical
Rocks are a mixture of different minerals.