WELCOME TO MRS. ROFFO'S LANGUAGE ARTS CLASS!
You will need to remember to bring the following supplies to each class:
1. 3 subject notebook (used only for Language Arts)
2. folder used only for Language Arts
3. Work folder used for take home papers and communication
4. filler paper and sharpened pencils
5. Silent Reading Book
6. Text Books
LANGUAGE ARTS CLASS WILL CONSIST OF THE FOLLOWING:
1. New Word lists and the following week's assignment will be sent home each Friday.
2. The Week's Spelling Assignments are due on Wednesday of the following week.
3. Spelling quizes will be given on Thursday.
1. Language class will consist of the study of grammar, writers workshop, daily oral language, and cursive writing.
2. The Language grade is comprised of the following:
3. Tests and quizes are announced at least 1 week ahead of time. Please refer to the student agenda. It is strongly recommended that students develop the habit of studying for ALL tests and quizes.
Independent Reading Book
1. Students are responsible for reading a class silent reading book each month.
2. Reading of the class text is to be done during the students own time either during work times or at home.
3. The independent reading book may be read independently or with a parent.
4. Readers are strongly recommended to read more than one book a month. You may want to check out other texts by the same author.
5. Students will be assigned a project to complete based on their independent reading book.
6. Students will also be tested on their comprehension of the Independent Reading Book.
For September, A16 and A15 will be reading George's Marvelous Medicine by Roald Dahl.
In Class Reading Assignments
1. Students will read a variety of texts in class.
2. Students will complete a variety of assignments based on the texts read in class.
3. Students will complete tests and quizes based on what they have read and discussed in class.
4. Students will use a variety of reading comprehension strategies including: reading, writing, listening, and speaking.
Reading Grading Policy
1. The reading grade is a separate grade from Language.
2. The reading grade is comprised of class assignments, projects, tests, and quizes.
3. Failure to complete homework counts as a zero.
4. Late homework is reduced by 10 points each day.
5. Tests and quizes count as two grades.
Feel free to spend time exploring the links below either at home or in school. They will help review concepts in class and prepare for upcoming lessons.
Enjoy your visit!