You should know all the answers to the questions from the story. You should also be familiar with the parts of the story that we highlighted during class. It is your job to follow along and ask questions if you miss something.
Read the Francisco Jimenez Story entitled 'Cajas de Cartón'. Please read up to the line - ROBERTO, Panchito y yo dormiremos bajo los árboles.
Answer the following questions in your notebook.
1. What time of the year was it?
2. Who is Ito?
3. Why was he not smiling?
4. What were the 'braceros' doing?
5. Who is the narrador? Where was he from?
6. Why was everyone so quiet on the way home?
7. Who is Robert? Is he older or younger than Panchito?
8.What did Panchito see when he opened the door to the chocita?
9. What reaction did the younger siblings have?
10.What was the 'Carcanchita'? What year was it? What was the father's attitude toward it?
11.What did Robert and Panchito carry to the car?
12. Where did they put the 'mattress'?
13. What was the significance of the 'pot'? How was it described in the story?
14.What had the mother cooked?
15. What is the significance of the father in the story sighing.....and then he says, "ES TODO".
IF you finish early and want to continue reading that is fine.
Period 6 only
Please rewrite the following sentences in English and then change the verb to the preterit tense:
1. Ito no sonreía
2. La cosecha de fresas terminaba
3. Ellos trabajabantodos los días.
4. Yo sentía el peso de las horas, los días, las semanas, los meses del trabajo.
5. Teníamos que buscar trabajo en Fresno.
Period 8 translate from Spanish to English sentences 1-5.
BE GOOD and cooperative!