Who are Students with Special Education Needs?
Revised 5/2001 firstname.lastname@example.org
Who are SEN students?
Welcome to the world of students of students with special educational needs. And the teachers who teach them.
- explore definitions from a variety of sources, which use different terminology.
- relate to discussion questions on the forum or worksheets
So let's begin!
Defining special needs populations
- Before you start: a Challenge! jot down how you are used to defining students who receive special attention in English classes--learning diabled? ADHD? weaker?
Now jot down the characteristics of a students in your class who are typical of this label.
- Read the definitions for special needs and the material posted at the other URLs below.
- Now return to #1 and #2 above. And answer some of these questions on the forum or worksheets for your course:
- Definitions for students with special educational needs have shifted in recent years. More than a change in labels, this shift represents a change in attitude and reflects incorporation of current learning theories. What attitude? Which learning theories?
- What is the actual impact of this change? Does it effect the number of children we work with? how we assess them? how we teach them?
- Are these new definitions presently operative in Israel? What barriers to implementation exist?
- Are these new definitions compatible with the Curriculum? Identify possible problems.
- How does your perception of these students measure up to current definitions. Is it more narrow? broader? Does it focus on the same characteristics?
- Is the definition of SEN comprehensive enough? What other categories would you add? Is it too broad? What categories would you remove?