Dear Parents and Students,
Welcome to my site. I hope you find this information useful and fun. Mrs. Ford
Our Weekly Schedule
-Practice Spelling test 8:30 a.m.
-Gym 10:40 a.m.
-Instramental music/Book checkout 8:30
-Music 10:40 a.m.
-Gym 10:40 a.m.
-This weeks Math assignment is due. 8:30 a.m.
-Spelling pretest (If you get 100% today, you don't test Fri.) 8:30 a.m.
-Music 10:40 a.m.
-Final Spelling test 8:30 a.m.
-Early dismissal 2:00
Literacy circles 11:15 daily
Lunch is at 12:10 p.m. daily
I’d like to take this opportunity to tell you about our class.
Homework is assigned daily. Every student has an Accelerated Reader book that they should be reading every night for fifteen minutes. These books need to be finished by the last school day of every month, so that the student is ready for their AR test.
Here are the main things I look for in a homework assignment.
General Homework Rubric
1. Is it all done?
2. Work is shown and /or answers explained?
3. The paper is neat? (minimal erasure marks, no excessive doodling)
4 The paper or assignment demonstrate good effort. (full answers, correct spelling, etc)
5. The name is on the paper.
1. Problems are completed.
2. Computations have been checked and are correct.
3. Answers are easy to find and easy to read.
4. All work is shown.
5. Any required written explanations are clear and are readable.
6. Any necessary charts, diagrams, or sketches are clear and easily found.
7. Work is neat, without excessive erasures or marked out answers.
If your child needs help and extra practice with math, visit the Scott Foresman- Addison Wesley site.
1. The topic sentence is clear and correctly placed.
2. Mechanics are correct (ie, punctuation, capitalization, and spelling).
3. Appropriate vocabulary and word choices are used.
4. All sentences are proper, clear, and relate back to the topic.
5. Sentences are fluent and are of varied length.
6. Correct use of words is used. (ie- subject-verb agreement, correct use of pronouns, etc)
7. The writing is neat, and readable, with no marked out words or other corrections.
8. Paragraphs are focused and present a single unified idea.
9. The paragraph achieves its intended purpose.
10. The paragraph is interesting and appealing.
11. The writer is sincere and seems to speak to the reader, with excitement, humor, or suspense.
*Show Know Go*
This year I'm starting a program called Show,Know,Go. From time to time I'll give a chapter pretest. If your child earns 90% or higher, they can work on a high interest project during class time. I'm sure your child will be telling you more about this as the year progresses.
Weekly Spelling assignments are always due on Thursday mornings. Math, Social Studies, and Writing projects are always begun in class, so that I am sure that the children understand the assignment before they take it home. Remind your child to bring home their books, so that if they have a question about the days assignment,they can look it up.
I always give as much as a weeks notice if a test is coming up. All homework, and important information is posted daily on the assignment board. If your child has a problem remembering items for class, remind them to write it down in their assignment journal.
Your child has several study buddies. If they have any questions about an assignment, have them contact one of those students.
You're always welcome in our classroom. please let me know ahead of time, so that if there is a special project we are working on you can join the fun. If you're planning on coming in before or after school to meet with me, please let me know ahead of time. I often have meetings scheduled. I would hate to miss you.
We always need extra help with projects at school. If you could cut patterns, make phone calls,listen to readers, send treats to class, file, accompany us on fieldtrips,come speak to the class, patrol the cross walk, or do a demonstration we'd love to have you!!!
Often, our children have books around the house that they have read and lost interest in. If you have any books at our reading level that you would like to donate to the class library, it would be appreciated.
Your child will need to keep certain supplies on hand. They need pencils (red and black), as well as notebook paper, glue, and scissors, at all times. They need a water bottle, each and every day. (The nearest water fountain to our room is clear down by the gym!)
Remember, when your child is absent from class, you need to call the office or my voice mail that morning to let us know. School policy states that if the school is not notified that morning, the child will be counted as unexcused. It also states, work missed when a child is unexcused can not be made up. Your child receives a zero for the work that they have missed on those days.
You may reach me, before or after school, at 595-4251. During class time when I’m working with your children, I may not be available to come to the phone. So, leave a message on my voice mail, and I’ll try to get back to you as soon as possible.
Thank you for your help and support.
Our Class Vision statement is...
WE CAN, BECAUSE WE THINK WE CAN ! EDUCATION MAKES A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE!
;) GO COUGARS!