Word Processing Study Sheet
Word Processor: Program used to create letters, memos, reports and more.
Edit: To make changes or corrections to your document.
Cursor: Light on the computer screen that shows where the user is working.
Margins: The blank space around the edges of a page.
Name the margins: Left, Right, Top, Bottom
Word Wrap: A feature in a program that allows text to go to the next line without pressing enter.
Defaults: The margins and font types and sizes that are in the document when you open it.
Format - to choose margins, font types and sizes and other features for your document
Alignment - How the text is lined up with the margins. Choices are: right, left, centered or justified
Left - lines up text with left margin
Right - lines up text with right margin
Center - centers text between the margins
Justified - stretches text to align it with both left and right margins
Scrolling - The movement "downward" or "upward" or "right" and "left" on the computer screen.
* HEADER - Anything you put here will appear at the top of all the pages
*PRINT PREVIEW - shows you what your document would look like but doesn't actually print it
1. What are some formatting types (or formats) you can choose for a document:
a. Page Layout Formats
b. Text Formats
Bold, Italic, Underline
c. Other Formats
2. Will spell check catch all spelling mistakes? YES or NO
3. Give 3 examples of things spell check won't catch:
a. Proper Names
b. Homonyms (example: misuse of Where, Wear or Ware)
c. Compound Words (example: some one someone)
4. If I have just typed a document and I want to make sure I don’t lose it, I want to SAVE it.
5. If I have already saved a document with a name and I made changes to it, do I need to save it again?
YES or NO
6. If YES, do I press SAVE or SAVE AS if it already has a name ?
7. If I want to give it a new name, do I use SAVE or SAVE AS ?
8. Which one OVERWRITES my document - SAVE or SAVE AS ?
9. What are three reasons to SAVE my document frequently?
a. Power might go out
b. Computer or Network might freeze
c. You might press a key that erases your work