COMMUNITY SERVICE 2019
Jan. 21 - 28, 2019
Two new opportunities: Fresh Start and At Home Care Hospice - check below for details.
Community Service for the 2018 - 2019 School Year
Are you interested in helping others? If so - you may earn community service credit and earn a seal on your diploma. During your 4 years of high school when you contribute at least 80 hours to a qualify organization, complete and turn in the proper paperwork by April 5 of your senior year then a Henrico County Community Seal will be added to your diploma. Listed below are the steps to get you started.
STEPS: (not a requirement for graduation).
** A student will have contributed 80 hours or more to a qualifying group, agency or person such as:
Qualifying i.e CARITAS, Habitat for Humanity, Science Museum, Public Libraries.
Non-Qualifying i.e. volunteering at a pool to sell food or clean-up,
painting religious buildings or classrooms, etc. see the link below for further details on this.
**If you have any questions please contact Mrs. Bryant at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Guidelines for the school year:
All service is run through Social Studies classes (if you do not have this class see Mrs. Bryant in room 55). Here is how you get forms, information, etc.
+a. Your Social Studies teacher will check to see if there is a parental permission form on file (if not he/she will give you one). This must be filled out even if you did not do this for summer service. Parents/guardians only fill out one sheet that covers all the high school years.
+b. Once the Parental Letter is in then your teacher will give you a Log Sheet.
+c. When you have finished an activity turn this information into your teacher so that it may be filed and nothing is lost or forgotten. You do not need to fill in all of the "slots" on the sheet to turn it in - the sooner the better it is turned in would be great. *It is always wise to keep your own personal record (or make a copy of the log sheet) since the the log sheets are not duplicates.
1) Fresh Start Program for Single Mothers and Their Children: Volunteers needed for a variety of tasks. They meet at Velocity Church on Church Road.
Descriptions of jobs and times are on the bulletin board outside of room 55.
Contact Sylvia Stewart to volunteer at 804-364-0460 or email@example.com.
2) At Home Care Hospice Volunteer Program: There is a diverse list of needs they have - packet is also on the bulletin board. Contact Susan S. Taylor for more information at Susan.Taylor@athomecare.com or call 804-358-3480.
3)Friends Association for Children - Music and Performing Arts Volunteers. Do you play an instrument, sing, etc.? Then this non-profit group would love to have you. Information is on the bulletin board outside of room 55 or contact Lisa Pauley at firstname.lastname@example.org or 644-2357.
4)Tutoring K - 12 immigrants and refugees on Wednesday evenings from 6:45 - 7:45 at Third Church across from Tuckahoe Elementary School. The program is well established and they will help you get started. If you would rather be a "sub" there are opportunities for this also. Contact Andi Redmond at email@example.com or 804-720-0740 to sign-up or if you have questions.
5) Capital Caring - Help needed with games, reading aloud, being a friend, etc. to others who need a companion. Contact Renee Mann firstname.lastname@example.org or 804-398-8600.
6) Manorhouse - Assisted Living and Memory Care: Volunteers are wanted. To apply please go to: email@example.com to apply
7) Lakewood Retirement Community would love to have your assistance in the evenings and on weekends. Contact Susann Atienza at 521-9265 or firstname.lastname@example.org
8) Information on Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens in "Useful links" below.
9) Henrico County Parks and Recreation information on "Useful Links" below.
10) Laurels of University Park:
Volunteers needed to helps with activities such as bingo, crafts, word games, etc. Contact email@example.com or 747-9200 if you have some time to give to our older population.
Useful links found below has more details about Community Service and organizations that offer opportunities.