Mills E. Godwin High School Community Service Coordinator
Sept. 24 - 30, 2018

I hope by now you have had a chance to look at the spreadsheets for your hours. If not - no worries. I will update them each semester. Remember you may still turn in summer service to Mrs. Bryant in room 55. Service for this year should go to your Social Studies teacher or Mrs. Bryant if you are not in a class this year. Thanks for all that yo do for others.

Voter Page Program - You must 16 and a US Citizen. Stop by room 55 or check with your Social Studies teacher for details.

Fall 2018

Are you interested in helping others? If so - there is a community service program in high school that can help you find a person/agency and you can also earn a special seal on your diploma for the service.
Below is listed the steps for this.

To earn the Community Service Seal on the High School Diploma (not a requirement for graduation).
           ** A student will have contributed 80 hours or more to a qualifying group, agency or person such as:
Qualifying i.e CARITAS, Habitat for Humanity, Science Museum, Public Libraries.
        Non-Qualifying i.e. volunteering at a pool to sell food or clean-up, painting religious buildings or classrooms, etc. see the link below for further
      details on this
**If you have any questions please contact Mrs. Bryant at acbryant@henrico.k12.va.us.

Guidelines for the school year:
All service is run through Social Studies classes (if you do not have this class see Mrs. Bryant in room 55). Here is how you get forms, information, etc.

+a. Your Social Studies teacher will check to see if there is a parental permission form on file (if not he/she will give you one). This must be filled out even if you did not do this for summer service. Parents/guardians only fill out one sheet that covers all the high school years.

+b. Once the Parental Letter is in then your teacher will give you a Log Sheet.

+c. When you have finished an activity turn this information into your teacher so that it may be filed and nothing is lost or forgotten. You do not need to fill in all of the "slots" on the sheet to turn it in - the sooner the better it is turned in would be great. *It is always wise to keep your own personal record (or make a copy of the log sheet) since the the log sheets are not duplicates.


1) Friends Association for Children - Music and Performing Arts Volunteers. Do you play an instrument, sing, etc.? Then this non-profit group would love to have you. Information is on the bulletin board outside of room 55 or contact Lisa Pauley at lpauley@friendsrva.org or 644-2357.

2)Tutoring K - 12 immigrants and refugees on Wednesday evenings from 6:45 - 7:45 at Third Church across from Tuckahoe Elementary School. The program is well established and they will help you get started. If you would rather be a "sub" there are opportunities for this also. Contact Andi Redmond at andi.redmond6@gmail.com or 804-720-0740 to sign-up or if you have questions.

3) Capital Caring - Help needed with games, reading aloud, being a friend, etc. to others who need a companion. Contact Renee Mann rmann@capitalcaring.org or 804-398-8600.

4)Voter Page Program: - See your Social Studies teacher for details.

5) Manorhouse - Assisted Living and Memory Care: Volunteers are wanted. To apply please go to: rvareception@manorhouseretirement.com to apply

6) Lakewood Retirement Community would love to have your assistance in the evenings and on weekends. Contact Susann Atienza at 521-9265 or satienza@lakewoodwestend.org

7) Information on Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens in "Useful links" below.

8) Henrico County Parks and Recreation information on "Useful Links" below.

9) Laurels of University Park:
Volunteers needed to helps with activities such as bingo, crafts, word games, etc. Contact cblanche@laurelhealth.com or 747-9200 if you have some time to give to our older population.

Useful links found below has more details about Community Service and organizations that offer opportunities.


Useful links
Last updated  2018/09/23 15:11:52 EDTHits  29